Kentucky Derby Party
Kid's Kentucky Derby party cakes, menu, activities and favors
It's a long shot, but your Kentucky Derby party is an opportunity to teach kids about
horses and the history of the Kentucky Derby. Ponypartyideas.com is your ticket to an
extra horsey Kentucky Derby Party, and here's how to win big with kids:
- Bet on the kids having a good time: Wagering is part of the fun and you can do it
kid style with horse funny money. If you have a betting game, make sure that
everyone is a winner, because kids may not understand, for example, that the
"place" is only first and second (and not third place). Above, you'll find tickets
bundled 75 -- you get 25 of each for win, place and show.
- Tip your hat Kentucky Derby Style! It wouldn't be the Kentucky Derby without
hats. Decorate your guests with Kentucky Derby racing hats above, right, to
turn everyone into an instant jockey. We've also gather a fun set of inexpensive
Derby hats in every imaginable style. Want the real thing? Then check out these
real Kentucky Derby Hats to had extra fanfare to your celebration.
- Sound off Kentucky Derby style: Get authentic "Sounds of the Kentucky Derby"
with Angela Bartley, who has been a bugler at Churchill Downs and the
Kentucky Derby Museum for more than 12 years. Filled with sounds like the "Call
to the Post" and "They're Off," you'll want to have it on continual play at your
party. Classic songs from Kentucky also include: "Run for the Roses," "My Old
Kentucky Home," and "Dixie."
- Trifecta Trivia: Entertain kids with fun facts about the Kentucky Derby.
- Set up a Kentucky Derby Tea Party: The youngest kids at the party will enjoy your
celebration with a Kentucky Derby tea party. Set out apple juice in tea pots.
Borrow ideas from our tea party birthday pages.
Kentucky Derby Decorations
- Set out a bucket of Chocolate roses: The kids will surely run for the chocolate
roses. Stock up on the Valentines Day roses you'll find at the local party supply,
so that when your Kentucky Derby party comes in May you're prepared.
- Garland of roses: You'll find plastic roses affordable at the Dollar Tree stores.
Make a rose garland for the entrance
Kentucky Derby Favors
To make everyone a winner have extra stickers, candy and derby beads on hand.
Here are some other favor ideas:
- Mini Horse & jockey favors: Kentucky Derby favors are hard to come by for kids,
but these colorful mini Horse and jockeys are a fun find (2.5" x 1.5" wide). Kids
will want to collect one of each color. They're also a great find to decorate the
tables, cake toppers or to use as place-card holders. You get a set of 12 For
- Horse playing cards, like the ones pictured right by Schylling, make easy favors.
- Snap candy in advance of your party during Valentines Day where you may find
chocolate roses and rose-shaped lollipops.
Kentucky Derby Betting Games
To make your Kentucky Derby Party extra horsey for the kids, recruit a teen to be the
"cashier" and provide party goers with Horse funny money or monopoly money for a
betting game. (Horseopoly or Horse Monopoly money is extra fun for the kids).
Next, set up a "betting window" and create other signs throughout your home, such
as "Feedbag" For the snacks and "Watering Trough" For the beverage station. Get
creative with your signs: "Fillies" (girl's bathrooms), "Colts" (boys bathrooms),
"Owners Box" (parents room),"Jockey Club" (birthday child's room), "Grandstand"
(living room with Grand Parents present or porch leading out to the activities),
"Winners Circle" (dining room or kitchen table), and "Paddock" (garden).
Kids Kentucky Derby Betting game (No betting strategy needed):
- Get the Kentucky Derby contenders Horse and trainer names on a paper and
make several copies, one For each party goer. It's most fun For kids if you have
pictures of the "silks" to help them pick the winners.
- Make your "tickets" in advance of the party. Create a Win, Place, and Show
ticket For each of 12 contenders (Horse and riders). You will have a total of 36
- Give kids "funny money" bills to buy their tickets (or just give them the tickets).
Divide tickets or bills evenly. For example, if you have a dozen kids, give each
kid three tickets or bills.
- Line the kids from shortest to tallest to "buy:" their tickets from the cashier.
Each kid buys a ticket and goes to the back of the line until all the tickets are
"purchased." If tickets don't divide evenly, let kids earn the balance of tickets
with a Horse theme party game.
- Watch the race, then award the prizes as follows:
Activities for a kid's Kentucky Derby party:
- One prize to "win" (award only the party goer who has the "win" card of
the appropriate contender). The prize should be something fun and
special, For example award a bouquet of lollipop roses and a gold colored
trophy filled with jellybeans or other candy.
- Two prizes to "place" (award the party goers who have the "place" cards
For the two appropriate contenders in first and second place). A silver
trophy with candy.
- Three prizes to "show" (award the party goers who have the "place"
cards For the contenders in first, second and third place.) A Horse figurine
or derby beads.
The little fillies and colts at your party will have fun no matter what kind of Horse
theme activities and game ideas you choose. Even if they can't even pronounce
trifecta let alone understand it, you can help them "win, place or show" with these fun
ideas For your Kentucky Derby party:
- Play Horse bingo. Teach the older kids some "Horse and saddle" vocabulary
with the free trial of Bingo Card Creator. Or create your own bingo For the
younger kids with your own pictures of derby related symbols and pictures of
Horse tack (an apple, a carrot, a horse-shoe, a trophy, a garland of roses,
saddle, hay stack, a sugar cube, a bag of oats, a bucket, a derby hat, a brush, a
julep cup, etc.). You can also purchase some kid's bingo Horse games online.
For around $14 you can find this Lucy Hammet's Horse Bingo.
- More Kentucky Derby Activities:
What to serve kids at a horse racing party:
- Cherry Perfecta drink: serve any cherry drink, Grenadine works well, and add a
maraschino cherry on top!
- Award winning treats: Serve ice cream or candies in a plastic trophy.
Tell us more about your Kentucky Derby party. Please share your party ideas with us
(cutepartyideas / ponypartyideas). We're on Twitter.
(C) Copyright 2009-2014. All rights reserved. Updated 4/26/14.
Linking to pony party ideas is permitted. HOWEVER, no part of this content may be reproduced, or stored in any
retrieval system, or transmitted in any other form or by any means including but not limited to electronic, mechanical,
photocopy, recording or otherwise, without the written consent of the author. The author makes no warranties
express or implied. Works are protected by copyscape. We love to link to quality sites! Write us at Twitter. See also
PonyPartyIdeas.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com,
amazonsupply.com, or myhabit.com.
Other pony parties you may like: Pink Cowgirl party | Cowboy party| Western party |Saddle Club party | kids parties
How to have a horse racing party.
Search pony party ideas:
Search pony party ideas: